September 23, 2011

Yellowstone Playlist


I flew to Salt Lake City, rented a red Nissan Versa and headed up to West Yellowstone for the Tenkara Summit (which was mentioned in a previous post). It was the first time in my life that I'd seen that much sustained and rolling beauty in one drive. Never in my life had I ever see this much of the "West," despite the fact that I come from a place so far west that if you travel any further in that direction you end up in sea water; Long Beach is not the kind of place that conjures up the Old West.

Then it began. The music in my head. Most of it was twangy and a little country. It just seemed to fit as I drove by bales of alfalfa hay and beat up pick-up trucks. At the next stop I cobbled together a playlist of songs to compliment the trip.

Some of the songs I cut out because, in the end, they just didn't fit the ultimate mood. Some of them are rearranged to tell a better story, unlike the completely alphabetical order I originally had them in when I scroll through my iPod. But mostly, no one wants or appreciates a sprawling playlist shot at oneself like buckshot on the side of barn.

(An astute ear might be able to hear that none of these songs are particularly new and that's because I haven't updated my iPod in about a year.)

Enjoy. 
  1. Okkervil River - Lost Coastlines
  2. Drive-By Truckers - Righteous Path
  3. Kathleen Edwards - In State
  4. Bright Eyes - Four Winds
  5. Wilco - Jesus, Etc.
  6. Dan Auerbach - Mean Monsoon
  7. Billy Bragg & Wilco - Hot Rod Hotel
  8. Kathleen Edwards - Goodnight, California
I also compiled a YouTube playlist for those of you that don't want to hunt for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment